Botany for Herbalists
This fun online program provides herbalists fundamental botanical knowledge to help us change the way we relate to plants.
“A background in botany is crucial to a well-trained herbalist. I can always tell the difference between a student with botanical training and one without.”
Imagine yourself standing by a trickling creek in dappled shade…
You are in the midst of what could be powerful medicinal plants. And – Wow- what is that? Is it California Ginseng? Yes, it must be. And you begin to imagine all the wonderful herbal honey you can supply to your friends and clients for their damp lung congestion this winter. It’s great to be an herbalist! Then the inevitable question arises – how do I know for sure? Maybe it’s cow parsnip or even worse, poison hemlock – Yikes! Maybe it is endangered? And all the visions of herbal honey are now forgotten. You walk home wishing you had tools to know the plants around you on a deeper level. Well this is the course you have been waiting for…
This Program Covers:
- How plants are named and grouped
- How to see a flower: plant parts and functions; plant sex 101
- The evolutionary history of plants and why it’s important for herbalists to know.
- Intelligent medicine – The fascinating new field of plant intelligence – Indigenous wisdom meets modern science
- Plant ecology and ecological medicine – How plants relate with each other and their communities; how this influences their medicine.
- Major medicinal plant families – how to identify them and their shared medicinal properties
- Botanical identification and ethical harvest
- How to read the landscape
- Join the free “Botany for Herbalists” Facebook Group
8, two-hour classes
2.5 hours of labs with Q&A time
PLUS 3 hours of free, bonus material!
= Total 22 hours of video
Class includes a detailed syllabus, reading assignments and online botany resources.
Jolie Elan is available to answer class questions online.
Class includes one online test per lesson
Botany for Herbalists Certificate granted upon successful completion of the course and tests
Two Payment Options
$19 Monthly or $180 for 1-year Rental
Free Intro Video:
Which type of non-muggle botanist/herbalist are you? Check out this hilariously delightful free intro video with Matt and Jolie.
Matthew Wood has been a practicing herbalist since 1982. He has helped tens of thousands of clients over the years, with many difficult health problems. He is a member of the American Herbalists Guild (registered herbalist) and has earned his Masters of Science degree from the Scottish School of Herbal Medicine (accredited by the University of Wales).
- Matthew is known throughout the world as an excellent teacher of herbal medicine. He is also the author of eight acclaimed books on herbal medicine, published by North Atlantic Books, in Berkeley, CA including:
- The Book of Herbal Wisdom (1998)
- The Practice of Traditional Western Herbalism (2004)
- The Earthwise Herbal, A Complete Guide to Old World Medicinal Plants (2008)
- The Earthwise Repertory, The Definitive Practitioner’s Guide (2016)
For more information on Matthew Wood see his website
Jolie Elan is the Founding Director of Go Wild Institute. She is a consulting botanist and has worked on ethnobotany projects around the world. Jolie has taught botany to thousands of students (middle school to College) and loves turning people on to the wild sexual organs of plant ( A.K.A flowers). With twenty five years of study in herbalism, she is the perfect liaison for herbalists adventuring into the wonderful world of botany. This class has been a joy to develop and teach.