Botany for Herbalists
“A background in botany is crucial to a well-trained herbalist. I can always tell the difference between a student with botanical training and one without.”
Imagine yourself standing by a trickling creek in dappled shade…
You are amid what could be powerful medicinal plants. And – Wow- what is that? Is it California Ginseng? Yes, it must be. And you imagine all the wonderful herbal honey you can supply to your friends and clients for their damp lung congestion this winter. It’s great to be an herbalist! Then the inevitable question arises: How do I know for sure? Maybe it’s cow parsnip or even worse, poison hemlock – Yikes! Maybe it
This Program Covers:
- How plants are named and grouped
- How to see a flower: plant parts and functions; plant sex 101
- The evolutionary history of plants and why it’s important for herbalists to know.
- Intelligent medicine – The fascinating new field of plant intelligence – Indigenous wisdom meets modern science
- Plant ecology and ecological medicine – How plants relate with each other and their communities; how this influences their medicine.
- Major medicinal plant families – how to identify them and their shared medicinal properties
- Botanical identification and ethical harvest
- How to read the landscape
- Join the free “Botany for Herbalists” Facebook Group
21 Curriculum hours of video
A detailed syllabus, reading assignments, online resources, fun labs
Online access to teachers
Online discussion forum
CERTIFICATES – Botany for Herbalists Certificate granted upon successful completion of the course
PLUS 3 hours of free, bonus material!
3 new classes in 2020
Two Payment Options:
$27 Monthly or $297 for 1-year Rental
Free Intro Video:
Which type of non-muggle botanist/herbalist are you? Check out this hilariously delightful free intro video with Matt and Jolie.
Jolie Elan M.S. SD.
Jolie is the Founding Director of Go Wild Institute. She is a deep ecologist, ethnobotanist, consulting botanist, and educator. She has inspired thousands of people to deepen their relationship with nature. Jolie is a seasoned environmental advocate with twenty years of experience building diverse networks, especially with Indigenous groups focused on protecting sacred sites. Combining her love for the earth and spirit, Jolie completed her training as a Spiritual Director and acts as a spiritual companion for those who wish to increase their intimacy with the divine, especially through the natural world
Matthew Wood has been a practicing herbalist since 1982. He has helped tens of thousands of clients over the years, with many difficult health problems. He is a member of the American Herbalists Guild (registered herbalist) and has earned his Masters of Science degree from the Scottish School of Herbal Medicine (accredited by the University of Wales).
- Matthew is known throughout the world as an excellent teacher of herbal medicine. He is also the author of eight acclaimed books on herbal medicine, published by North Atlantic Books, in Berkeley, CA including:
- The Book of Herbal Wisdom (1998)
- The Practice of Traditional Western Herbalism (2004)
- The Earthwise Herbal, A Complete Guide to Old World Medicinal Plants (2008)
- The Earthwise Repertory, The Definitive Practitioner’s Guide (2016)
For more information on Matthew Wood see his website